Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Bounce, bounce, baby, bounce back to me"

11/4: Rock Band Live Tour
featuring The Cab, Plain White Ts, Dashboard Confessional, and Panic at the Disco
Gwinnett Arena- Duluth, GA

Unlike Ashley, I bought my ticket for $50 two months in advance to the show, which ultimately proved to be a disappointment. We got to the Arena about 30 minutes before doors opened to get in the GA line. Once we were inside, we had to do the whole sitting on the floor thing until almost time for the show, which I hate about the Arena. But anyway, the show started off with The Cab, which was the main band I wanted to see. I thought they did an amazing job. The sound and lighting of the Arena definitely added to their performance, which is not something I am used to from them. At one point, Singer came down into the crowd and was attacked by girls. It's so crazy seeing that when I saw them first just nine months ago and maybe ten people knew their stuff and no one really cared about the band. But I loved their set.
After The Cab played, we went upstairs to get drinks because we can hardly stand to be in the same room as Plain White Ts when they are performing. They have decent music, but Tom's voice always kills it for me. We came back down for the last two songs of their set, and it was pretty painful.
Then Dashboard Confessional came out. There's just something about Chris Carabba that I can't help but admire. I've seen them before, but this time they were a lot better than I remembered. The only bad thing was that they are so mellow and I was so tired that I could hardly keep my eyes open, which NEVER happens at a show. They did do a cover to "So What" by Pink that was hilarious. They brought out The Cab and Plain White Ts for one big jam. Chris Carabba prancing around and singing the lyrics was definitely the highlight of my night.
In between Dashboard and Panic, there was a bit of fighting going on with the fangirls. Apparently I am too tall to go to shows like this. I kept having to move out of the way of little girls who would scream every other minute. There is like a pitch that only girls under the age of 15 can reach and it was pretty deafening. Please tell me that I was never like that. It was like being at a Backstreet Boys concert. I'm sorry, but Panic does not do choreographed dance (well, at least not a lot...), so I don't see why there was a need for it all. I feel like I have outgrown that scene a little bit, and when I am only seventeen and no longer fit in with the fans of the bands I love, that's pretty rediculous. But Panic was really good. After years of waiting to see them, I wish it had not been on this tour, but they still sounded so good. Their sound has matured so much from their first CD and I was actually impressed with what I heard. They played a good mix from both of their albums as well as a cover of "Shout" that was too much fun. Overall, the show was not worth the money, but at least I was able to see Panic for the first time.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

aww first time seeing panic? thats cute! haha

whittersg said...

haha, i've wanted to see them for years, but it never worked out until rock band. i so wish i had gone to truck stops and state lines.

Ashley said...

me too! I missed that shit. ugh. sometimes I hate myself for missing shows. haha.