Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I know this place like the back of my hand"

11/18
Lights and Lydia (and Lovedrug and Copeland...but I didn't see them)
Rcktwn - Nashville, TN

Hi everyone!  I got lost when the name of the blog changed, but I found it again because I decided to stop being lazy and actually type it in.  I've been to QUITE a few shows since my last blog (which my last blog said I would have details about my New York CMJ trip...I should revisit that and share all of the details from that trip...That'll wait for another night though).  I'll probably go back in time to revisit some of the shows I went to in the past month or so...Some quick highlights were seeing Justin Guarini and Micky Dolenz play in a Nashville honky tonk, Family Force 5 in Cincy, Duncan Sheik and Lauren Pritchard at 3rd & Lindsley, Hark the Herald and Forever in a Day at RCKTWN, Frank Caliendo at TPAC, and Scouting For Girls in NYC.  If you WANT to get super details on any of those shows - comment, and I'll write out a full bloggage.

On to my latest and greatest show of the week :)

I went out to support the label by seeing one of my fave new poppy-hipster girls, Lights. (http://www.iamlights.com)  She is absolutely adorable, and so good to her fans.  I had listened to a little bit of her music before the show and I was full on ready to dance it out.  Unfortunately, the indie snobs of Nashville decided to pack the RCKTWN mainstage, and pretend they were too good to be there.  I danced anyway, and got some evil hipster glares.  Lights was fantastic.  She sang all the songs from her EP (which is fabulous, btw), and a few other songs.  You might recognize "February Air" from some Old Navy commercials, and I've heard some of her other songs were played on The Hills last season.  Cool stuff.  It reminds me of like, a super tame younger Lady Gaga...mixed with some Skye Sweetnam?? I don't know...maybe it's the Canadian that I'm getting that from.

Next onstage was Lydia (http://www.myspace.com/lydia).  They were a band of boys, and one girl on keys and backing vocals.  Super mellow, super talented group of people.  I'm excited to buy their album.  The lead singer guy's voice reminds me of SOMEONE...so if you can tell me who it is I'll freak out on you in a good way.  I THINK it reminds me of the lead singer of this band called Allred from Utah.  But I'm not sure.  Just a side-note...Allred are not Mormons...I asked them.

I ended up leaving in the middle of Lydia (I hate leaving early from shows, I like to give all bands my equal attention, plus this maks my 8th show I've gone to and missed Copeland at) because my roomie had to study for a test the next morning.  School comes before my respect for live music, I suppose.

So in all, it was a fun short night!  I love the pop vibe I'm getting from the new bands I've been seeing.  If you know me, you know I'm a pop girl to the death....even if it has to be "underground pop".
So if she's in your area, go check out Lights!  She's pretty radical.  And dance, even if the people around you think they're too cool to be in your mere presence. :)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

my friends are at this show in Atlanta! haha