Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Time is all that we have, so won't you let me inside your perfect world for one night?

11/22/2008
The Hush Sound, The Spill Canvas, Augustana, OneRepublic
The Tabernacle, Atlanta, GA

I told Ashley I would be blogging about this moment in my life...so get ready for backstory. haha

I'd been talking about "maybe" going to this show for a few weeks...and finally made the final final decision to go around midnight the night before.  I was having a mini-party at my house, and one of my coworkers from Burbank called to tell me he got me tickets for the show (The Spill Canvas is on our west coast label).  I was pretty dang excited, because I've never seen TSC before, and I'm in love with Augustana.  I have a slight history with Hush Sound, so that was exciting too.  Biggest thing though...was OneRepublic.  If you know ONE thing about me, know this:  I am obsessed with boy bands.  No, obsession doesn't cover it.  There isn't a word for it.

A few years ago, Lance Bass had a competition on MTV for singers/songwriters of pop music.  The prize was a shitty contract with his shitty management company (ooh I wanna win that...not.).  Anyway.  The winner of the competition was a relatively cute, and super super talented guy named Ryan Tedder.  As predicted, Ryan faded into oblivion, and my friends and I held onto his crappy recording of "The Look" (it is still one of my favorite songs) thinking it would be the last we'd ever her of him.

That was until earlier this year (or was it last year?) when I heard a familiar voice on my radio.  The DJ followed up with "That was Timbaland with 'Apologize'".  That was NOT Timbaland singing.  That was Ryan Tedder!!!!  I did some more research and discovered that Ryan had been writing and producing some of my fav singers songs and albums...and I was elated when I found out he was the voice behind OneRepublic - a band a few of my friends were already into, but I was only tuned into thanks to Timbaland.  I still get giddy thinking about the moment it clicked that Ryan Tedder was coming back into my life. haha  I wish I'd been as cutting edge as all my other friends who loved OneRepublic without realizing it was our beloved R.Ted...but I'm not that cool.  Thank you top 40 radio!!!!!

Fast forward again to Atlanta last Saturday.

The Hush Sound was fabulous as they could be.  The chick in that band makes me want to do mean things to people...so I could do without her shrill speaking voice...but the rest of the band was fabulous :).  The Spill Canvas was all I could have hoped for.  Lead singer's voice reminds me a lot of Rob Thomas in some way shape or form.  They made some funny jokes about celibacy.  I drank a tiny bit of vodka.  I fed a lot of vodka and tequila to my roomie Cathy, who came with me.  This was one of the best things I did all night.

Augustana went on, and I freaked out.  I'm pretty much in love with them.  Cathy was GONE by the time they went on, so instead of being a wallflower, she was ALL about dancing with me.  So we danced.  Then I FINALLY got to hear "Stars and Boulevards" live (they didnt play it the whole way thru in Nashville :().  I flipped outttttt!!!!  It was fun :)

There was like, an hour between sets before OneRepublic went on.  It was torture.
Then they went on and blew me awaaaaaay.  I NEVER thought I'd EVERRRRRR see Ryan Tedder live in person.  He is amazing.  In respect to the rest of the band that I am not biased toward loving, they were rather incredible too.  The guitarist literally made my jaw drop to the floor.  There was cello, and cello always wins me over.  ALL of the bands that night brought on members from the other bands to help out on a few songs - it was cool to see live collaborations like that.  OneRepublic brought on Darren from The Hush Sound for a few songs, and he shook the eggball.  Neat.
I kept waiting for OneRepublic to play "The Look", but of course they didnt hahaha  I didn't expect it, and I'll remember not to expect it in the future.  In all, I am completely turned on to this band, and I'm ready to be done hearing them on the radio, and go out to actually purchase their CD.  I looked through my CD collection, and I'm already pretty stocked up on the work of Ryan Tedder - without even realizing it.  That's what happens when iTunes takes over, and removes the liner notes from my life.  DOWN WITH iTUNES!  UP WITH PHYSICAL CDs!!!!!!!!!!

I met The Spill Canvas, and they were fabulously friendly.  Thanked them for letting me steal ideas for my country artists websites.  They laughed.  Cathy was drunk...made things funny hahahaha

We drove home and made it back in record time by about 2:30am, then I was a veggie all day Sunday :)  Good weekend, and good night!

(be sure to imeem up some Ryan Tedder - "The Look" is an absolutely gorgeous song, TERRIBLY recorded...but if a man ever writes me a song like that, he is mine)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

YAY! I'm glad you had a wonderful time. =)

Justin_Michael said...

That sounds very interesting. Oh, who am I? Just a guy who saw that you like Invisible Children. I like Invisible Children too and I have even dedicated my blog page to IC for the month of December. Would you like to check them out and help spread the word?
Well, here you go:

http://jcow81.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!