Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thrice!

Almost a week later, I'm finally getting the time to sit down and write about seeing Thrice:

Thrice and The Gaslight Anthem
October 19, 2008
House of Blues - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina


On Sunday, October 19, 2008, my friends (Kyle and Sara) and I arrived at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina around 2:30-ish after running a bunch of errands that HAD to be done before we could go enjoy ourselves. Doors weren't until 6, so we hung out outside and caught up on some school work. When 4:00 rolled around, the HOB began serving dinner, and since we were doing the Pass the Line program, we grabbed our food to go (running into Dustin Kensrue in the process! Awkward small talk conversation ensued.) and took it back to the line.

The House of Blues was on the ball that day (mind you, this was the first time I've been there in a year.. And I really hate that venue.). We got in at 6:00 on the dot and ended up on the center of the barricade. The first band that played was The Gaslight Anthem. They were great. They really remind me of my favorite band (Hot Water Music) so I found it hard not to enjoy them. Their set was pretty good, but it was honestly too long just because I was so pumped to see Thrice. Gaslight finished up, and I was getting pretty crazy. Thrice was up next.

Sadly, during their setup, they had technical difficulties, so they had to scrap a few of the songs they had on their setlist. I was pretty bummed, but even with all of that going on, they did not disappoint. I always have very high expectations for Thrice and I'm glad to say that I have not been let down. I grabbed a setlist when they were done and the set consisted of a good mix of songs from Volume I of The Alchemy Index, Vheissu, and The Artist in the Ambulance:

Firebreather
The Melting Point of Wax
Blood Clots and Black Holes
The Sky is Falling
Of Dust and Nations (I LOVE THAT SONG!!!!)
The Messenger
Broken Lungs
Helter Skelter (Beatles cover)
Betrayal as a Symptom
The Earth Will Shake

While the Beatles cover was awesome, I am not a fan of bands doing covers live. Unless the covers were recorded on an album (a la New Found Glory, Between the Buried and Me, Thrice's OTHER Beatles and Frodus covers), I just feel like it takes away time that the band could be playing their own music.. But that's just me, I guess. Other than that, Thrice put on yet another breathtaking show. It was just weird seeing two shows with them headlining in April/May where they played 20/21 songs during their set to watching them be an opening band once again, only getting 30 minutes to play. Although they only had a short amount of time, they still blew me away.

We met with Dustin again after the show, more awkwardness ensued (I can't talk to that man for anything), but he closed the conversation with a clever quote since I kept apologizing to him: "Don't worry, we're all awkward." Genius.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

aww yay! I'm glad you had fun. Sucks that their set was so short though.

Tara Alesia said...

Yeah, I was pretty bummed, too.. But it was awesome nonetheless.